Any kind of cancer diagnosis can be frightening and overwhelming, but it is important to remember that not only is skin cancer the most often diagnosed forms, it is also the easiest to treat – especially when diagnosed early. Whether you have been diagnosed or notice a skin abnormality, it is crucial to work with a dedicated medical dermatologist as soon as possible to get thorough, effective treatment.
Contact Ava MD today to get an accurate diagnosis, second opinion, and high-quality medical care right away. Dr. Simzar and his team of physician assistants, qualified medical dermatologists, and nurse practitioners have extensive experience treating skin cancer and stay up-to-date on the latest, most effective treatments available. You can schedule a consultation online or by calling (310) 736-6146 (Santa Monica).Continue Reading ↓
Types of Skin Cancer
Skin cancer typically occurs on one of three forms, depending on severity. Each have different symptoms and require specific treatments, so it is vital to talk with Dr. Simzar if you suspect you have an abnormal skin condition.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma – One of the most commonly diagnosed forms of cancer, basal cell carcinoma may appear as an asymmetrical blemish or sore that crusts or bleeds and does not seem to heal. While this type of skin cancer is typically benign (non-cancerous) it can cause significant damage to your tissue and bones if left untreated.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma – This type most often affects the face and neck and may appear as shiny, waxy patches or small red or white bumps. It is crucial to have squamous cell carcinoma treated as soon as possible as it can begin to damage internal organs and become life threatening.
- Malignant Melanoma – The most serious type of skin cancer, malignant melanoma can begin as a mole that may change in size, color or shape. When caught early, this potentially life-threatening condition can be effectively treated, so it is important to get screened as soon as you notice any abnormalities.
Treating Skin Cancer Effectively
Fortunately, various types of skin cancer can be safely and successfully treated by an expert medical dermatologist, such as Dr. Simzar. The most common treatments include:
- Cryosurgery – The cancer is frozen and removed, requiring little to no downtime, depending on the area being treated and severity of the cancer.
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery – Thin layers of tissue are removed and frozen in order to examine them under a microscope. This is repeated until the total cancerous tissue is removed. This treatment is most often used for cancerous tissue in areas that are cosmetically important, such as the face, ears, or hands.
- Photodynamic Therapy – Using specific lasers or light wavelengths, photodynamic therapy can safely treat precancerous lesions with a series of non-invasive sessions. Photodynamic therapy is gentle, yet highly effective.
For more information on skin cancer treatments, visit WebMD.com.
Get Advanced Treatment for Skin Cancer at Ava MD
If you’ve developed any form of skin cancer, do not wait to get a comprehensive consultation with the compassionate, skilled team at Santa Monica. Let us help you overcome this threatening condition with confidence and comfort to protect your overall health. Don’t wait. Contact Ava MD today!
Next, read about Skin Laxity.