Significant hair loss or noticeable thinning of the hair can be a frustrating and traumatic experience, regardless of age or gender. While men most commonly begin losing their hair as they age, hair loss and thinning hair can also affect women. If you notice that your hair is becoming thin or shedding significantly, do not wait to see a skilled cosmetic dermatologist, such as Dr. Ava Shamban, Dr. Soheil Simzar, or Dr. Gregory Van Dyke at Ava MD. There are numerous treatments available that can effectively reverse, reduce, or stop hair loss in its tracks.
To learn more about our hair loss treatment options, please schedule a consultation at Ava MD today! Contact us online or call us at our Beverly Hills office at (310) 439-5417 (Beverly Hills) or (310) 736-6146 (Santa Monica).Continue Reading ↓
Hair Loss Causes
Not all hair loss is the result of genetics. Certain health conditions can contribute to temporary or permanent hair loss, so it is important to be evaluated by an experienced dermatologist in order to determine the cause. With an accurate diagnosis, it is more likely that you will be able to achieve positive results. Common causes of significant hair loss include:
- Illness or Health Condition – Stress, diabetes, low thyroid activity, nutritional deficiency, cancer, or even the flue can cause temporary hair loss. In many cases, if the health condition is addressed or managed, the hair will regrow.
- Trauma – Scar tissue caused by physical injury, burns, or cosmetic surgery can interfere with hair growth, damaging the hair follicles and potentially causing permanent hair loss.
- Alopecia Areata – An autoimmune disease in which the body attacks its own hair follicles, resulting in sudden hair loss on the scalp, face, and body. It can be triggered by genetics, stress, or other immune system deficiencies.
- Pattern Baldness – Also known as androgenic alopecia, pattern baldness is the most common cause of hair loss that affects both men and women, although men are predominantly affected by the condition. It is mainly caused by hereditary factors and may be gradual and permanent, beginning with a receding hairline or a thinning crown.
- Traction Alopecia – Trauma to the hair follicles by wearing tight hairstyles, such as ponytails, braids, or extensions can cause the hair to stop growing.
For more information on hair loss treatment, visit WebMD.com.
Treatment Options for Hair Loss
- Light Therapy – Red light wavelengths have been found to reduce inflammation in the skin and increase blood circulation around hair follicles on the scalp, reducing and preventing hair loss.
- Minoxidil – Also known as Rogaine, the first FDA approved treatment for hair loss can be applied directly to the scalp or balding area to prevent further hair loss and stimulate regrowth.
- Finasteride – Also known as Propecia, is the only other FDA-approved medicine used to treat hair loss by blocking a hormone in the scalp that causes male pattern baldness.
- Microneedling with PRP – Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) stimulates blood supply and provides proper nutrients to hair follicles, which can restore the hair growth process to those experiencing hair loss.
Schedule Your Hair Loss Consultation Today!
If you are tired of living with hair loss, Dr. Ava Shamban, Dr. Soheil Simzar, Dr. Gregory Van Dyke, and the nurse practitioners and physician assistants at Ava MD each have years of experience treating male pattern baldness, alopecia, and hair thinning and work carefully to find the best solution for each patient. Call us at (310) 439-5417 (Beverly Hills) or (310) 736-6146 (Santa Monica).
Next, read about Hair Removal.