PRF: Platelet Rich Fibrin
What is PRF?
Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) is a substance derived from your own blood, containing a high concentration of platelets and growth factors. Unlike Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), a liquid form of blood plasma, PRF is a gel-like material that forms during the blood centrifugation process. Acting as a scaffold, it holds platelets together, facilitating a sustained release of growth factors when injected into specific areas of the skin.
PRP Injections Vs. PRF Injections
While both PRP and PRF utilize the healing properties of platelets and growth factors, they have some key differences. PRP injections involve the separation of platelet-rich plasma from the blood into the treatment area. PRF, on the other hand, involves the use of platelet-rich plasma fibrin matrix obtained from the blood. This offers several advantages over PRP, including a higher concentration of platelets that afford longer-lasting results and fewer adverse side effects.
What Does PRF Do?
Platelet-rich fibrin injections help stimulate healing that uses your own blood to help reverse signs of aging. The process is based on the centrifugation of whole blood without anticoagulants. For this, blood is drawn from the patient and then placed in a centrifuge. Afterward, a fibrin clot containing platelets and white blood cells is obtained, called Platelet Rich Fibrin or PRF. When injected, these platelets work by stimulating the skin’s production of collagen, healing old skin tissue. This gives you a brighter, tighter, healthier look. Other benefits include:
- Enhanced collagen production
- Faster healing time
- Reduced wrinkles and facial folds
- Lighter and plumper under-eye skin
Where Can PRF Be Used?
PRF is a versatile treatment that your Ava MD provider can use on various areas of the face and scalp, promoting natural rejuvenation. Here are some of the most common ways PRF can be used to address your aesthetic concerns:
- Under the eyes: The sensitive, delicate skin under your eyes is prone to fine lines, wrinkles, and loss of volume. PRF injections plump and rejuvenate the area, reducing the appearance of under-eye circles and improving skin texture. All of this makes it a good choice for patients who are nervous to try conventional under eye fillers.
- Cheeks: By injecting PRF into the cheeks, we can restore lost volume and enhance the natural contours of your face, giving you a more youthful look and appearance. This makes PRF an especially potent treatment for age-related loss in volume in the midface.
- Lips: PRF can be used to enhance the appearance of lips by adding and restoring lost volume and improving definition. This reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth.
- Jowl area and temples: PRF injections to the jowl and temple areas of the face can improve your facial contours and reduce sagging skin.
- Brow lift: By injecting PRF strategically into key areas of the brow, we can lift and tighten sagging skin.
- Thickening of the skin overall: When we inject PRF into the skin, it stimulates collagen production and promotes overall skin thickening. This can improve your skin’s texture and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
We can even combine PRF with laser skin resurfacing or microneedling for even better results. Consulting with your Ava MD provider is an important part of determining the most appropriate treatment plan for your aesthetic goals and skincare needs. They will work with you to assess your unique needs and develop a personalized treatment plan.
Benefits of PRF
Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) offers many benefits to improve the skin and stimulate collagen growth. Collagen is a protein our body makes that works by keeping our skin from drying out and/or sagging. By using your body’s natural defenses and growth factors, PRF treatments can provide remarkable advantages over traditional methods. Other benefits include:
- Enhanced collagen production: One of PRF’s most significant benefits is its ability to stimulate collagen growth, keeping it firm and supple.
- Faster healing time: PRF is widely recognized for its ability to accelerate the healing process, expediting the recovery period that follows.
- Reduces wrinkles and folds: PRF injections provide a higher concentration of platelets that preserve the fibrin matrix. This extends PRF’s therapeutic effects so you can enjoy long-lasting reduction of fine lines, wrinkles, and folds.
- Plumper and lighter under-eye skin: The skin under your eyes is prone to fine lines and hollowing. PRF injections can rejuvenate this sensitive area by stimulating collagen production and improving skin elasticity, improving their overall appearance.
- Minimized adverse side effects: Because PRF is derived from your own blood, it has a reduced risk of adverse reactions or allergic reactions.
- Improved hair growth and vitality: PRF treatment has shown promising results in addressing hair loss and promoting hair growth. When injected directly into the scalp, PRF’s growth factors and platelets stimulate dormant hair follicles, leading to improved hair density and quality.
- Noticeable improvement in overall appearance: Because PRF is so versatile, it offers a comprehensive approach to facial rejuvenation. After just a few sessions, patients report noticeable improvements in their skin’s tone, texture, and firmness. These natural and long-lasting results all work to give you a more youthful and radiant appearance.
Please consult with your Ava MD provider if you think PRF is right for you. To learn more about its benefits and to schedule a consultation, please contact our clinic.
Who is a Candidate for PRF?
Anyone who is looking for a natural approach to facial skin rejuvenation can be a candidate! PRF can be a great solution if you’re generally in good health and have a desire to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone and texture, and other skin laxity issues. Your Ava MD provider will cover all the details of PRF at your consultation and help you determine if it’s the right treatment to meet your aesthetic goals.
How To Prepare For Your Appointment
Proper preparation for your Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) is crucial when it comes to ensuring optimal results. Prior to your PRP session, your Ava MD provider will discuss what to expect during your treatment. Here are some essential steps to follow when preparing for your PRF session:
- Discontinue anti-inflammatory medications at least 5 days before your procedure
- Discontinue any blood thinning herbs or supplements one week before your procedure
- Discontinue systemic steroids 1-2 weeks before your procedure
- Discontinue steroid injections at least one month before your procedure
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water.
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
By following these steps, you can maximize the effectiveness of your PRF treatments while minimizing any potential risks. During your treatment session, make sure to communicate openly with your Ava MD provider. Discuss your expectations along with any concerns you might have. We’re here to address your needs and ensure your comfort throughout the treatment session.
To learn more about what PRF: Platelet Rich Fibrin and our providers can do to improve the appearance of your skin, call Ava MD at 310-828-2282 (Santa Monica) to schedule a consultation today!